Unfortunately it was started this morning (as I looked at growing pile of UFO’s with a sigh.) All of my other projects still sit, staring at me with sad, imagined faces sobbing “Please, don’t forget about us! It’s been so loooong…”
I was sitting here drinking cup of coffee #3 wishing I had a pretty coaster to keep those dang rings off of my -ahem, extremely neat and organized- piles of notes. I googled up some easy patterns, and rested on this.
With no pretty worsted or baby cotton that would resist staining in sight, I turned to other stashy bits in my typical “I’ll do it my OWN way” fashion. I don’t know where this bag of ribbon came from, except that there was a time (and I only remember it in bits and pieces, like a strange dream) that I was getting 4 or 5 deliveries a week of cheap odd-lot boxes bid from eBay. One orphan bag contained these, which I originally thought were some novelty ribbon yarn lefovers. But now I really believe that someone had some old cheap stripey fabrics and decided it would be fun to tear them down into 1/4″ strips, sort them into color families, then tie them together and make tiny 3 yard balls of rag.
I would do it, for a project. So I understand.
My DIY synapses firing away, I noted that the F hook called for in the pattern would not be making an appearance today, and the G, H, I and J Susan Bates Silvalumes would have to sit it out as well; mighty K would dance this mess around.
I’m thinking going up 5 hook sizes in a 9-round pattern might make a *bit* of a difference, and, being me, I happily (haplessly?) plunge ahead.
I try to pick the right size balls in the colors I want, estimating the length of each to minimize waste (yes, I wouldn’t want to have to snip off any of this treasure! Luxurious, .004 cent-a-yard, free-with-waste-yarn purchase, oh no.) All is working well, just a simple flat circle pattern with regular increases, and K-hook is workin it, girl! Except. Except that I am just over halfway through the pattern and it appears that maximum coaster size has been reached.
I haven’t even reached my first color change yet. But that’s okay, I’ll just finish off this ball and do a round of the next. And edge it. Right.
Oooh, but the colors are looking so pretty together. My grind-ahead gears are smoking now and I realize I won’t have enough of this pinky orange yellow to do the edging stitch. Oh, and did I mention I have to crochet one whole section ahead because my estimator switch was broken and I want to use up this color and I have NO idea what I would do if I had to cut off seven whole inches of torn-up fabric. Yes, I know, travesty.
I continue on in a lovely green and blue, and I’m loving the combination so much I don’t really care about the coaster anyway. This is becoming something WAY cooler. Why, it almost looks like a potholder! Well, yeah except for those hundreds of tiny threads sticking out in all directions yelling “Fire! Come and get me, woo hoo!” No.
A HOT PAD! Yes, for those lazy summer days when I’ll need to protect the future picnic table from some type of scorching hot bowl of refreshment. I can see it. I have a very vivid imagination. I relax.
Now to finish the green. On cue, I realize that my extra “addition” will now throw off my count for the spacing on the shell-type edging. And my enthusiasm is waning – I really don’t feel like re-figuring the numbers. It really looks good and I glance at how much green I have and decide to do some kind of SC/ch1/skip the rest of the way around.
Aside from some buckling that I think I can cure with a little blocking and a steam iron (don’t miss THAT exciting chapter!), I really do like it. And I’m pleased with myself for finishing something. The coaster idea is in the pokey for now (I think that’s a horse/barn reference, amidst all the other dazed metaphors roaming around here…) but I’m energized ( I mean, look at those colors!) and I’ve got a great high from the motivation. I love the feeling you get when you take an idea and just run with it. This is exactly what I needed.